Friday, November 2, 2012

I watched a very interesting documentary last night. It was called "Give Me The Banjo" and it gave the history of, you guessed it, the banjo. I haven't always been a fan of the banjo, but I can tell you the exact moment I did. I was at a Dave Matthews concert when I was in highschool and the opener was Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. I had no idea who they were when they came out on stage, but when they started playing, I was blown away. One song that sticks out in my memory was "Hoe-down," a bluegrass version of Aaron Copland's "Fanfare for the Common Man." Amazing does not even begin to describe it. This was a turning point in my appreciation for the banjo. Before it was just another instrument, but hearing Bela Fleck play, made it come alive.


No comments:

Post a Comment